SchoolMessenger allows the district and school sites to send messages via phone, email and text message. The system is configured to send text messages to cell phone numbers in SchoolMessenger whose recipients have agreed to receive them.
Individuals will receive text messages ONLY if all three of the following requirements* are met:
- The individual opts-in.
- A cell phone number is on file with the district.
- The message sender includes content for a text message
*Salem Schools provides this service at no charge, however your individual cell carrier and/or plan may charge per text message. The wireless carrier individual text message charges are the parent/guardian's responsibility.
How do recipients opt-in to receive text messages?
- Text the word “YES” to 67587 from each wireless device they wish to receive texts on.
- Confirm the text device number(s) are in SchoolMessenger. Note: Depending on the data synchronization configuration it may take 24 hours or more for numbers to be updated from the district PowerSchool database.
How do recipients opt-out of receiving text messages?
Recipients not wishing to receive text messages to a particular number can simply do one of the following:
- Don’t opt-in, and don’t reply to the opt-in invitation message.
- Text “STOP” to 67587 at any time.
- Opt-out online at http://schoolmessenger.com/txtmsg
- Request that the SchoolMessenger system administrator add the number to the account’s phone number block list.
Can the text messages come from a district phone number instead of the SchoolMessenger short code?
No, short codes are the industry standard and the only fast and reliable way to deliver mass text notifications.
I received a text message that says it’s from SchoolMessenger. What does it mean?
- That was the opt-in invitation message sent by SchoolMessenger if it was from 67587 and it said:
<<Insert Customer Name>> text messages. Reply Y for aprx 3 msgs/mo. Txt HELP 4info. Msg&data rates may apply. See schoolmessenger.com/tm
- To continue receiving informational text messages from the school district reply with “YES”.
- If you don’t reply, you will not receive any future texts from SchoolMessenger.
I opted in, but I’m not receiving texts?
- Ensure that the district has included your correct device number in PowerSchool in the SMS phone fields that are synchronized with SchoolMessenger. It may take 24 hours for this number to be active after being changed or added to the district’s system.
- Send a text with the word “YES” from that specific device to 67587. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message from the service.
- If you want to receive texts on multiple devices, each device number must have an opt-in receipt.
- Confirm that the district has attempted to send a SchoolMessenger broadcast that includes a text message to your phone number. If you have tried all of the above, please contact your wireless provider to determine if your account is setup to receive messages from a short code account.